Fort Smith High School
Pinky Fullerton

Dear Classmates:

I had a wonderful time reading the bios you submitted to Dick Cowan for the impressive Website he has established (thanks, Dick!). I hesitate to write the following, because it won’t be as entertaining as the rest of you. Well, here goes …

When I graduated from FSHS, I felt as if I had been released from prison. That’s the way I felt about school at the time. But my parents insisted I go to college, so I went to Stephens College in Columbia, Mo., to study “writing for radio.” It was a great experience, and I learned a lot about writing for radio, but I also got swept off my feet by my husband-to-be, Les, who was attending the University of Missouri-Columbia. We got married, and he soon got drafted into the Army. I spent the next two years following him around and waiting for him to come back from Korea.

In 1961 our daughter Katharine (Kate) was born. When Les got out of the Army, we returned to Columbia, and I worked for KFRU Radio while he was in graduate school. After he got out of school, I stayed home for a few years and finally found time to continue my own education. First I earned a bachelor’s degree in biology and then went on to graduate school at the University of Missouri School of Journalism, where I earned a master’s degree. (Remember, this is someone who hated school.) The idea was to combine my love of science with journalism and become a science/medical writer – a skill I never actually put to use. Somewhere in the middle of all this (1971, to be exact) our daughter Margaret (Maggie) was born. I stayed home with her for a few years, and did not join the workforce until 1980. I spent eight years working as a systems and procedures analyst for Modern Business Systems (now IKON Office Systems); five years as communications director for the Missouri Bankers Association; and nine years as communications director for the Missouri State Chamber of Commerce. I retired in March 2003, and I am currently writing a book about a double murder that occurred in Jefferson City several years ago. (Les has been retired since 1999, but he still lobbies during the legislative session.)

That’s about it, except for the most important part: our family. Both of our daughters turned out to be very musical. Kate plays many instruments and has been an actress/director in New York City for 20 years. She is married to a New York City schoolteacher. They have a beautiful baby, Eloise (named after my mother, who died at age 92 in 2001). Kate is a stay-at-home mom, but she still directs a play now and then. (Kate says that for every hour Eloise spends playing “actress,” she’s going to make her spend 10 hours playing “waitress.”)

As for Maggie, she spent many years as a vocalist in various rock-n-roll bands in New York City and Kansas City. This past Aug. 30 she married a wonderful man (thus, the lateness of this bio) and has returned to Jefferson City. Besides music, Maggie loves digging in the dirt, and currently works as an independent landscape artist.

Finally, for those of you who have not heard, my beloved sister, Jeanne (class of ’59), died in 2002. It is still hard for me to imagine my life without her in it.

Overall, I can’t complain; like everyone else, sometimes I’m happy and sometimes I’m not. I would love to hear from you. Sorry I can’t make it to the reunion, but we are headed East in October. If it’s half as nice as our twentieth reunion, you’ll have a great time! I wish each and every one of you the best.

Cynthia "Pinky" Fullerton - 2003